Wednesday, November 09, 2005

This is going to be interesting. We'll see how this concept of having a performance diary goes, or plays. I like journaling, but also the privacy. Yesterday was a good day, and like many, one that few would see. I had six 1/2 hour "shows" in a nursing facility in Baltimore, then two 1 hour "shows" in a Wilmington (De) nursing home. This means that I played "Always" (my consistant closing song, along with a few other fixed selections) 8 times. It would be understandable to think that I would get bored with this. I don't. Related to this, I think, is a question I am often asked; "What is your favorite song?". I don't have one. They are (more or less) all tunes, but each one an opportunity for expression. I'm continuing to learn to (increasingly) enjoy and to take advantage of these opportunities.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this in a Rolling Stones concert review;

Jagger (Mick) found the anthemic heart of "Paint It Black." And, miracle of all miracles, he sang "Satisfaction" like he still meant it, no matter how many bad wedding band versions, inept parodies or other musical atrocities have been committed over the years in its name.

I just had to share that!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Joe Holt said...

My take is somewhat different. I can perform a tune (whether mine, or any one that I've played several thousand times), and mean it. But STILL mean it? That implies a constant it. My it's are better comprehended (by me, anyway) after the fact. If I said above, "each one (tune) an opportunity for expression", perhaps a better rendering of my thoughts would say: each tune a "delivery system", in which I always intend to say something I mean, whatever that may be.

Saturday, December 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home