Thursday, November 09, 2023


 The experience of returning to the Sun Valley Jazz and Music Festival this year was beyond special. First off, it was just nice to be back after 15 years (Sun Valley was the last festival I played with the Midiris, before leaving the band in 2008). Soooo much has happened since then; a providential weaving to bring me to a different place, paving a return to the same place. And if that seems confusing, it's actually a (much) simplified description of the path I've been travelling; a weaving beyond my ability to plan, script or comprehend. And on top of my re-connecting/bonding with my Midiri brothers, my path of musical partnership with Sharon Sable has crossed with the Midiri train (tracks), in a similar (clearly providential) weaving. Sharon was able to step in as the band vocalist (the first time in their 20+ years of performing festivals that the Midiri band has taken a singer) never having actually sung with the band. She and Joe Midiri were together on a couple of gigs earlier this year, and that was all he needed to know to make the call/offer, when the opportunity presented itself. It was a beautiful experience, for everyone, from front to back. Sharon's and my final set (just prior to the festival grand finale) was after the rest of the band left for the airport (we were able to stay an extra day), and gave us the opportunity to present a duo version of our Blossom Dearie show. Safe to say that Sharon made many new friends and fans that week. It appears that I held my own as well.  We are carrying the gratitude with us as we go forward  :) 
   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home