Saturday, February 24, 2024


 Something I will say often is that if I had to read from sheet music what I play (improvisationally), it would never get played. Had a visual reminder of this today, as I was looking through some file folders. In 2010, Ian Pallister was kind enough to transcribe my video post of "On the Sunny Side of the Street", from a nursing community, in 2007. Coincidentally, this happens to be my most viewed post (paltry by pop culture standards, but in the subculture world of classic jazz, I'm not complaining), at 60K and change. This is the only "Joe Holt" transcription available (free, on my website), but plenty enough to remind me (and to validate) what I'll often say. Though capable of reading music, I just can't process this at anywhere near the level of when I turn my brain processor off and play from another space. Which is now reminding me of something else I will often say. When someone compliments me using the word "talent", my response is to lightheartedly say that it's not talent, it's imbalance. But even though everything pretty much fell to one side of the scale (or my brain), I understand that, for me, this is (my) normal. I'm grateful for what I have, and very much so. And if I need to hear the transcription played, I can ask someone else to play it. Or just watch the video again (you can watch it here).  :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home