Monday, January 28, 2019


I was a "non-traditional" college student, graduating with a BA in music (in 1986) 8-1/2 years after I began. I wasn't looking at college as a ticket to a job. In fact, I knew full well otherwise, especially as a general music major (about as marketable a degree as basket-weaving). I went to college because the opportunity was there, and I was actually interested in learning (that's another story, for another time). I did it part time, while working as a piano teacher and gigging musician. The gigging musician phase of life began when I got my driver's licence, and soon became my primary activity. College was just one of the other things I worked in/around. There was no hurry, though I was glad when I finished. From that point I just kept going and continued to follow the paths I found. One of the paths lead me to a Music Therapy certification (MT-BC) in 1997. Another story for another time. Suffice to say, I didn't go in through the front door. I wasn't planning to do it. Never even thought about Music Therapy, actually, until I was recruited (based on work I was already doing). I was just going about my business, trying to do the best good I could. Then the whole thing grew organically and essentially presented itself to me. It's like following a dream that you don't know you're dreaming, because you're walking the path instead, one little step at a time. One day you discover that many small steps make a leap, and there you are. Or put another way; bloom where you're planted, then be attentive to what grows. Fast forward to today, and the latest example of this. 3 years after being recruited to help the Washington College Jazz Combo (because they didn't have a pianist at the time), and doing the best good I could, I was given the opportunity to join the faculty (as an adjunct "lecturer") and direct the group. I wasn't planning to do it. Never had any ambition to be college faculty. And certainly, no expectation, given I only have a bachelor's degree. But, by this point, I do have over 40 years of being in the trenches as a performing musician. And I suppose that means something. I also have a lifetime of dreaming the dreams I discover as I live them. A few years ago, I was a guest musician in a church, and one of the staff musicians was taken by the fact that I am a full time gigging musician. She said I was "living the dream". It was nice to hear at the time. Now I reflect on that again. Living the dream. Yes, I am. Perhaps now with a little better grasp of what that means. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home