Friday, May 31, 2024


 Some years ago, I arrived at the place, in my own personal/spiritual journey, of purposing to disavow forming conclusions (which is, and will continue to be, a work in progress). I don't know that I've ever really discussed this here (in this journal/blog), as it is paradoxical, and challenges the use of words. It also requires a certain degree of faith, or connection outside of one's own reasoning, to be able to trust that there is, indeed, a trustworthiness beyond where logical analyses can take us. There comes a point (and often, by now, I'd feel as if I'd already reached it) where the knowledge that some who are hearing me will (internally) fold their arms (and minds), leads me to be less inclined to proclaim, and more so to point. Less to convince, and more to demonstrate. Less to make a declaration, and more to be an example. 

When one is trying to encourage another toward finding a place of deeper connection (beyond what words can concretely describe), pointing in that direction can allow for reflection, pondering, and ultimately, discovery (it can be argued that this was the primary teaching approach of Jesus himself). Of course, the one pointing is already in that trusting place. So, rather than desiring others to arrive at the same opinion (or better, reach the same conclusion), my initial desire is for another is for them to unfold their arms, extending them outward, in trust. In terms of pointing broadly in this direction, I'll sometimes start with this quote from Keith Jarrett: "When I'm out there, and there's just a piano, it's like my body knows exactly what to do. It's just like my left hand knows how to play. And if I tell it what to play, I'm stopping it. Not only am I stopping it, but I'm stopping it from playing something better than I can think of". Now, of course, this resonates strongly with me, as the piano is where I spend much time cultivating the trusting place, essentially, in prayer (it would be fair to describe my attitude toward practicing as an exercise in spiritual discipline). I recently spent a few days in Florida visiting my son and his family, and went to church with them on Sunday. Had anyone engaged me and asked me about myself (and no one did), I was prepared to say that I pray for a living.   ;) 

The larger goal for me, in it all, is to trust/pray my way not just at the piano, but through all of life. And in that space (perhaps the perpetual moment?), not knowing what is around the corner is okay. And much more than okay, as what might otherwise be an unsettling state of uncertainty becomes a place of peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Bless you Joe.

Friday, June 07, 2024  

Post a Comment

<< Home