Thursday, April 26, 2007

Just in case I may have mislead you into thinking that I have somehow elevated myself above being effected in any way by the prowess of others in comparison to my own (although I'm sure that you knew better) - this is intimidating. Believe it or not, I have worked with a sax player who can (at times) play as many notes per square inch as Joey DiFrancesco. Years ago, on perhaps my first gig with this sax guy, I understood enough to disengage allowing his (million note) solo to impact me, or alter my "game". In fact, I purposely played very few notes (once it was my turn) until I got my bearings. This was the beginning of learning to be comfortable and secure in my own thing, and to have a better sense of what that thing is. I've played some recent gigs with Dave (the sax player) now - some years later - and find my self identity much more secure. I'm playing more authentically, because I'm more fully connecting with it, and not trying to be anything but the connection. Boy, is there freedom in that! The funny thing is, when playing with Dave now, some "bursts" will happen, on occasion, where I might actually be keeping up on the note count meter (which just makes us smile) for a(brief)while, but that's not the point. If it were, it wouldn't be real.

This clip is cool if for no other reason than the display of raw prowess. But it's more than that. This is solid, hard in-your-face swinging. This is JD's "real". Notice that they're having fun, and making the connection with each other? Kind of a common denominator in all this, wouldn't you say? Elvin Jones - drums, John McLaughlin - guitar, Joey DiFrancesco - Hammond organ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home