Saturday, August 30, 2008

Vocalist Rod Dixon observes: "When it's all over and they go home, the people don't remember what you sang (played), they do remember how you made them feel". This parallels my experience, and two recent comments from seniors (in my music therapy work) come to mind:
Around the corner, and out of view, I overheard a nursing home resident being asked if she enjoyed the (my piano music) program. She was enthusiastic in stating her pleasure in having attended, and that she enjoyed herself, while adding "I don’t remember what he did". Look at this beyond the (potential) obvious, and Rod’s words ring true. Another resident, as she thanked me for the presentation added "It made me think of someone else beside myself". This instructs me that it isn’t (just) about the notes, and the end game is not about what you hear with your ears. The words or the notes direct us to a destination; where we have the opportunity to "get it". This broadens my awareness to see that I am, at times, too concerned about the notes I play, and what others may think (as I become stuck "within myself"). At these moments (which I just observed in myself while watching a recent gig on video), I'm "speaking" more than "listening". The common/surface presumption is to move forward (according to my ordering) when the real deep power is to move in "reverse". The spiritual connection, rooted in love, will lead to the pure expression that originates from God. People will call this "emotion" or "conviction" as it is expressed. It is the communication of the "soul", or the "renewed mind". Ultimately, it’s not (about) me, or up to me to connect with others through music. This is the work of God, to which we succumb (rather than attain), and through which we are blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home