Sunday, July 28, 2019


For as long as I can remember, I've said that I enjoy accompanying, and if forced to choose only one expression, it would be that (over playing solo, or with a group). At this point in my career, and especially in recent years, as I have allowed things to develop more organically (without a pre-determined agenda) this has shaped my path, and the opportunities presented on it. Over a decade ago, I began working as Musical Director for the annual Women Helping Women concert in Chestertown (sharing the responsibilities at first, eventually assuming them solely). This unique show has me accompanying/supporting a stage full of stylistically diverse performers, one at a time (around 20 or so) over the course of an evening. And being in this position aligns with my strengths. Or my strength. And now I'm in the position to move not just from performer to performer within a show, but with Mainstay Mondays, from show to show to find and live in the unique moment and connection at hand. Though it is true that if I'd ever have to choose between solo piano performance and accompanying, it would be no contest, I wouldn't want to have to make that choice. But allowing things to evolve as they will (or to allow providence to unfold) without getting in the way will place things where they are supposed to be. And wherever that place is will likely not be where it would (or could) have been imagined. No way, say, a decade ago, could I have predicted where my career would be at this point. One step taken, or one possibility embraced at a time will eventually (or sometimes quickly) take you beyond what can currently be seen or understood. Ultimately, everything is connected with itself as we move through time, so while at any given point, we may make sense of where we find ourselves. And as for what will the landscape look like a year or two from now? The more I trust the path and the bigger picture (Providence), the less it matters. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home