Monday, May 21, 2007

photo courtesy of Bruce Gast

Here I am with the Midiri Brothers and Co. for the Artie Shaw tribute concert on 5/16. Several things "went wrong" that evening, but we/I got through. One of the "issues" was the piano. After the grand piano was wheeled onstage (prior to the hit) we discovered that it hadn't been tuned. Since the upright (pictured) was on the stage initially (then returned to replace the out of tune grand), it was speculated that the tuner may have unwittingly serviced the wrong piano. A little deeper digging suggested no tuning happened at all. Fortunately, the upright was in decent tune, and playable (enough). In my experience, some pianists are "fussier" than I about what they are willing to play. My take is: I may not like the piano, but if so; it all becomes relative. Everyone else who performs (there) has to deal with the same instrument. Usually, if the keys come up (soon) after they are depressed, I'll deal with it. The show must go on!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe --

Judging by the photo, you blew the top open on that old upright!

Way to go!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007  
Blogger Joe Holt said...

Looks can be deceiving, but I'll take the compliment. :)

Tuesday, May 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home