Friday, October 13, 2006

The music goes on. Certainly the show must. At, perhaps, one of the most (potentially) stressful times I've known (this just happens to be a time where difficult and unrelated events have converged), my "spirituality", both private and public, is tested. "Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors." James 1: 2 The Message. Until recently I have not really thought in terms of "public spirituality", except to hold it in suspicion. I find little Biblical directive for much of what some eagerly put on public display. I must now encounter, however, that I have embraced an understanding of music making that is, in it's essense "praying in public". Hmmm. Just a couple of weeks ago I wrote (for public view here, so, I'm "cornered"): "This idea of "falling out of self-absorption", and stepping outside myself to a spiritual place when performing, has changed everything". Yes it has, and so much for the better. The music goes on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I read this and though of you ...

"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."
~ Francis Bacon

Sunday, October 15, 2006  
Blogger Joe Holt said...

So, don't be too certain?
Hurry up and doubt now?
It's doubtful that I certain?
Certainly it's doubtful?
Content to doubt?
It's doubtful I'm content?
Content in certainty is doubtful?
Oh, I don't know anything!

Sunday, October 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home