Monday, August 07, 2006

I'll admit to a little distraction; I have an Ella (You Tube) video playing in another window. Ella Fitzgerald was one of the few performers (from that era) that I was able to see perform live, before it was (and certainly is now) too late. I hear that You Tube is now facing a lawsuit, and may be in trouble. I hope not; it's an amazing resource.
It feels like I am almost "biding my time" at this current "level" (referring to performance opportunities) at which I operate, as if (and I believe this) I am being prepared for something. Speaking of waiting, I was with Bryan Clark (at Shark's Cove) last night, and while we were eating our salads at the bar, on a break, he began talking about patiently waiting on God. I then chimed in that, perhaps, to truly wait on God, we are to "step outside of time". Bryan stopped eating momentarily, and after briefly staring ahead in silence while his eyes glazed over, said: "I'll have to think about that for awhile". Sometimes I have that effect on people.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!

In Scripture, when "time" is spoken of in reference to God, it is often the Greek word "kairos". "Kairos" means the "right or opportune moment".

Another Greek word for time is "chronos" which means sequential or chronological time. When we speak of time, we usually refer to, or think in terms of, "chronos."

While "chronos" is quantitative, "kairos" is qualitative.

"Kairos" is all about living in God's time, and not imposing our own on it. Therefore, when we wait on God, we must "step outside of time" as we know it and step into time as God sees it.

We sometimes speak of the "eternal now." With God, in "kairos" time, it is always now.

Just a thought.

Monday, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Joe Holt said...

Therfore giving theological legitimacy to the declaration "I want it NOW". Or perhaps I go about "twisting the truth in love". Or is that speaking...

I suspect that I could use more Kairos in my chronos (I imagine that sentence may be no more appropriate than declaring I need to put the sun in my coffee, but it sounded good).

Actually - after briefly staring ahead in silence while my eyes glazed over, I said: "I'll have to think about that for awhile". Sometimes you have that effect on people.

Thank you Jonathan!

Thursday, August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home