Friday, October 20, 2006

There is certainly a difference. When I sit down to play piano, it is easier to fall outside of myself, and more deeply so. I'm aware now (while writing), of a parallel. When teaching piano (which is seldom these days, but a large part of my past), I reference the "feeling of falling" to introduce the fundamental principle of (rotation) technique. To summarize; It is a natural feeling to push down a piano key. We are using our muscles to effect/control something. In this technique scheme, however, the goal is to abandon muscle-laden pushing in favor of "falling" into the piano key with the weight of your hand and arm. In every case, this requires an adjustment period, where the "need to push" is unlearned and replaced with the ability to let go. At first, it is often difficult because it feels as if we have lost control. As time goes on, it becomes easier to "let go" (if that is our goal). We then can touch upon the broader discovery that letting go is the key to freedom. Learning the "feeling of falling" now allows us to approach the "freedom of falling". Falling into freedom means we are leaving behind all that we cling (are chained) to. This describes what I am increasingly experiencing whenever I play the piano. Way cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home