Sunday, January 10, 2010


 I know, I know, it's over! I just don't let it go easily. It was a funny (kind of) scene at the Philadelphia Protestant Home on Thursday night. As I was performing in the Social Hall, the Christmas trees on either side of the stage were being deconstructed. This picture, taken after the concert, was of the tree behind me (the direction I was facing seated on the piano bench). For most of the performance, however, I watched the tree in front of me slowly evaporate - from lavish decoration to empty space. Why me? How many times have I said: "The only part of Christmas I don't like, is that it ends"? So, that evening, I felt akin to Charlie Brown and his comment on getting it rubbed in (in his case, finding no Christmas cards in his mailbox.): "Rats! I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?" Actually, it's okay. I got to make light of it during the program (and tell my favorite Santa claus story one final time). The nice lady was just following orders (questionable as they were to coincide with a piano concert). Fortunately for me, I'm under no such pressure at home to move on. My wife, Carol, insists the Christmas tree remain in place until at least her birthday (later this week). Even then we'll be in no hurry. Not that I'm "living in the past", or "afraid to move on", though. In fact, 2010 is shaping up, in multiple respects, to be (potentially) the best year of my career. Looking forward to the opportunities ahead...




 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home