Friday, November 10, 2006

Now is the time, it seems, to lay claim to my spot on whatever the "next level" is. It's less dramatic than it sounds, I suppose, but then again, it feels like the beginnings of a seismic shift. I have (after years of threatening) finally let go of a regular schedule at Sullivan's (though I may still play/sub occasionally). Sullivan's has long been my smallest "billable hour". It has been a great gig and run artistically. Playing weekly (or more) piano/bass duo gigs has really solidified my rhythm section chops. In addition to this, the relationships and friendships (most especially with Bruce Kaminsky) are priceless to me. Why, then, would I let it go? The cleanest and simplest answer is the understanding that I must place that energy elsewhere. For unrelated reasons, my professional relationship with Bryan Clark is, in large measure, at least for now, ending after my gig tonight. This means that I am letting go of a significant clump of weekly income at a time when finances are strained (I'm still "gigging like crazy" with music therapy and other work, but a complete income, in this business, is always the sum total of all the parts). As you can imagine, if you know me, I'm not sitting idlely by just watching, but thrusting into an increased schedule of sales time to realize what I truly believe is the time to get myself out there, more so, to the general public. The day after I "closed the chapter" on Bryan Clark, Joe Midiri calls me with 4 (more) west coast festivals/trips for next year. Still a drop in the bucket, but nonetheless, a "sign from God", so to speak, to encourage me on my way. The "Midiri boys" have been most helpful in permitting me to promote and market myself from within their ranks. They are responsible, in God's providence, for the (access to) relationships (newsletter subscribers/product orders) on the west coast. More thing are, I believe, in store. God is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Holt said...

Thanks. I went to yours. Wish I could read it. Looks terrific.

Sunday, November 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home