Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Today was a usual Tuesday; a triple: a senior facility in the morning, another in the afternoon, and a 5 hour restruant gig (Sullivan's) at night. As is often the case, my friend David Sparks came tonight. On this past week's radio show I installed him and Jonathan Mills (my good friend and former pastor at Chestertown) as the Joe Holt's Notes chaplains. David proposed an idea for a "chaplain's corner" on my show. I like it. He and Jonathan are way off center in their denomination (Church of the Nazarene). I'm out there with them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica W. said...

how do I not know that Pastor Mills was "off-center" when it comes to the Naz. denom.?
this sounds interesting to hear about...

Tuesday, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Joe Holt said...

I have discovered, Jessica, that (despite the claims of some to the contrary) that the Church of the Nazarene is a "big tent". You have spent a good part of your life under Jonathan's preaching. On the surface, all may appear uniform. Try to think deeply about what you hear, and to listen (especially the next time you hear Pastor Mills) "between the lines". In addition, it may provoke reflective thought (I would count that a good thing) in you to read some Brian McLaren. Always be willing to think, and yes, even to struggle. God is in that. Jonathan understands this: the value of the struggle. Beware of the preacher that tells you that the Bible is simple, or that it is important to be right (rather than to know truth), or that you should run in fear from anything that will challange your current ideas, or what others will insist is true. You were taught (by Pastor Mills) better than that.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home